Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Disney Surprise- Part one.

It has been a hard secret to keep.  I slipped up a few times.  Aaron and I took the boys on a surprise trip to Disney World over spring break.  We have been to Disney a few times.  It is really a magical place, especially if you have small children.  It is work to get there and it takes some planning, but it is totally worth it.  This trip was different because of the amount of time we had to plan.  We decided to do this last month so four weeks is all I had to get things in order.  I know there are families who can pick up and go on vacation on a moments notice.  Having a special needs child and a planner mom prohibits us from this. We booked online, but called to make sure we had a ground floor room and a fridge for medications.  Then, the frenzy began.  There are several things I do before we go to Disney to save on money.  Buying Disney items in the park always cost  more.  The first thing I did was make the boys autograph books.  The run you about $20 each in the park.  $60 was more than I was willing to spend on that item.  A trip to the dollar store for notepads and pens and a little hot glue was all I needed to make some pretty cute books!  I even attached the pens to them by a ribbon so we didn't have to dig around to find one!              

I also stock up on glow sticks.  The kids always beg for these when we are at the park at night.  Another Dollar Tree run provided them with plenty of glowy fun!  We bought the boys pressed penny books a few years ago.  Genius!  It provides the kids a keepsake everywhere we go.  The love to hunt for the machines and collect pressed pennies.  Aaron made a trip to the bank for a few rolls of quarters and pennies.  We put them in an candy tin where we could easily reach them whenever they were in demand.

 Last time we vacationed at the magic kingdom,  Logan asked about the trading pins.  These are pins usually worn on a lanyard around your neck.  You can collect them and trade them with others in the park.  The pins cost anywhere from $10- $200 a piece.  That is more than I wanted to spend last time in order to let Logan "try out" this little hobby.  Especially since I knew they would end tossed around and lost the week we got back. A couple weeks before, I looked on Ebay, bid, and won a lot of 30 Disney trading pins for $9.  BAM!!  I took my trusty mom van to Walmart, bought some Disney ribbons, and made the boy's each a lanyard.  Then, I divided the pins and packed them away.  I am so glad I did.  Logan and Joey had a great time running to the Disney cast member to trade pins.  (It is the week after Disney and I have no idea where they are right now. The pins, not the boys.)

I know some of you are thinking, "Gosh! She sure is thrifty!"  Don't worry!  We still spent the fun money!  The boys got a few big treats at the park.  I just tend to get the smaller things that can eat up what we budget for spending money.  Speaking of budgets, I could go on and on about the little system my incredible husband uses when budgeting our money for vacation.  Yes, it keeps us on budget.  Yes, we always have the money we need when we need it.  Yes, we usually have money left over because of this nifty little system.    What is it?  All I am going to say is it involves ALOT of little envelopes and a very complicated organization method.  I hate those envelopes.  I know it works, but it makes me CRAZY!  (Apparently, Aaron shares this enchanting method of budgeting with his sister- must be genetic.)

I chose to pack everything in 2 huge storage bins, instead of carting 5 suitcases.  It saved so much space!  I did pack an overnight bag with a change of clothes for everyone so we didn't need to unload the van for the first night since we would be stopping to get a hotel room on the drive down.  I also brought along our handy dandy backpack to carry when we went into the parks.

After days of anticipation, the time had arrived.  The van was packed. The boys thought we were just going to drive to the beach for a few days.  They have lived with us their whole lives so they thought nothing of their dad packing up a billion envelopes (GRRR!) or their mom checking things off of her huge checklist.  I had packed the glow sticks, trading pins, and autograph books in a gift bag without them knowing and it was hidden away in the back.  Movies for the trip and a cooler full of drinks were in the front and we hit the road!  I love traveling with Aaron.  Driving allows us a moment to talk bout things going on in our lives, to discuss current challenges we are facing, and to dream about the future with minimum distractions.  I think I may look forward to that aspect of the trip more than the actual destination.

Traffic wasn't too bad and we made it to a little town about 20 minutes away from Disney Friday night.  We stayed at a hotel that I am pretty sure we had to cross a time vortex into the 80's to get to.  It screamed 80's decor down to the wood panel Lounge where we ate breakfast the next morning.  However, it was clean and convenient.

Saturday morning, we got back into the van and headed on our way.  We had informed the kids we would be traveling through Orlando on our way to the beach. Tyler figured it out first, I think!  As soon as he saw signs pointing the way to Disney, he started bouncing up and down in his seat with a huge grin on his face.  Turning back to him, Logan sarcastically commented, "Sure, Tyler, sure.  Mom and Dad are taking us to Disney."  Turning to Joey, I said, "Did you hear what Logan said?"  Logan's head jumped up in amazement and he screamed, "Really?!! We are going to Disney?!!"  I certainly love surprising my babies!  Even better, we got the whole thing on video!  Aaron ran in to check us in and I gave the boy's their gift bag while we were waiting for him to come back;

(To be Continued.........)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews