Sunday, September 2, 2012

To Tyler on his 13th Birthday…..







Dear Tyler,

You were a beautiful baby.  I mean “make all the other mommies who had babies born that day want to cry because their baby looked positively ugly next to you” beautiful! You had the most beautiful skin tone I have ever seen.  What very little hair you did have was blond and your eyes were blue-gray.  You were long and skinny.  You came earlier than I expected.  However, even though you were a preemie, you were big at 6 pounds.  

I can hardly believe the tiny baby I held in my arms became a teenager today.  I can hardly believe you are almost as tall as I am.  I can hardly believe I can fit my feet into your tennis shoes.  13.  You are thirteen years old today.  I can hardly believe I am now the mother of a teenager.  

Thirteen years ago, I became a mommy.  I practically kidnapped you from the hospital the day they allowed you to come home.  I didn’t even wait on the discharge papers.  I was so sure a nurse was going to come into my room and say there had been a mistake.  They couldn’t possibly let a new mom with no baby care experience take such a perfect baby home.  Luckily, the nurse on duty lived next door and brought the paperwork home for me.  Still, your Aunt Kristi and I must have looked funny sneaking you out!
The day you were born, I looked into your face.  I turned to your grandma and said, “Wow!  You love me this much?!”  I couldn’t believe the amount of love a mother holds in her heart for her child.  Until the moment I first held you, I had no idea.  I knew then I would lay down my own life to protect you. 
 
There is a scene in Forest Gump where Forest ask his mother what her purpose in life is.  She says her purpose was to be his mother.  That is exactly how I feel.  My purpose in life is to be your mom.  I always dreamed about what I would teach my child.  Yet, you have taught me more than I have you.  You have taught everyone patience, courage, and persistence.  You never give up once you have a goal in mind.  Most of all, you don’t listen to the doubts of others.  You never let anyone underestimate you.  I wish I had half of the determination you display!  I am so proud of the man you are becoming.  

Happy thirteenth birthday, sweetheart!  Remember to be patient with your mom.  It is very hard for me to let go and give you the space you need to try new things.  Remember, you may be a teenager now, but you will always be my baby! I love you!

     Mom


No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews