Monday, October 8, 2012

Family Dollar and Bail Money...

Is crankiness and the inability to tolerate stupidity a sign of getting older?  Is it a byproduct of being married to Aaron? (I love you, Aaron, but you know how you are! (:) I am not sure.  I do know I use to be more mild tempered.  I was not one to get involved in conflict.  I would never seek out an argument. 

*sigh*

We have a family dollar close to where we live.  Sunday, I decided to run over there and pick up bleach.  I was hoping to get in, out, and back home quickly.

*sigh*

All was going well until I got behind the lady in the checkout line.  She was talking loudly on her cell phone. I swear I  was doing my best to tune her out.  I didn't need any drama. Then, I heard it.  She began to tell her friend about another friend who is expecting.  She said the friend had just found out the baby was going to be born with down syndrome.  I PROMISE I was doing my best to stay out of her conversation.  I was tired. I just wanted to buy some bleach and go home.  Then, I heard it.

*sigh*

As she was telling her friend about what she would do in that situation, she said, "I would send that gift from God right back!"

*sigh*

I think I saw red.  You see, I found out Tyler was going to be born with Down Syndrome during my pregnancy.  I can't tell you the feelings you go through when you find out your child will be born with a disability.  Only someone who has been in that position knows.  When you are hit with that news, you   have no idea what the future holds.  There are people who are there to help, to lend support.  Then, there are the others. Those who question your decision to have your child.  Those who give you "facts" about what your life is going to be like.  The decision to have and keep Tyler is one I have never regretted.  My life is blessed beyond belief just to know him.  So, I am sorry.  I tried to keep quiet. 

*SIGH*

Turning, I said to the woman,
"Excuse me, My oldest son has Down Syndrome.  The hardest part of my pregnancy was not worrying about the health of my baby.  The hardest part of my life is not worrying about what the future holds.  The hardest part is putting up with ignorant people like you.  Do your friend a favor and keep away from her!  She has enough to deal with without you talking about her behind her back and she definantly doesn't need need your opinions." 
Then, I left her standing open mouthed on the sidewalk. 

Everyone tells you it is important to be an advocate for your child.  No one tells you how hard it is to ignore stupidity.

*sigh*

I was still fuming when I got home.  After telling Aaron the story, he looked at me and said something about starting a savings account for bail money.  I think from now on, I'll buy my bleach from wal-mart. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews